In 1915 the Vancouver Harbor Commission approved a project for in-close industrial land by creating an island with fill under the Granville Bridge, seen below.
The area was soon filled with timber-framed, corrugated metal-clad shed structures filled with businesses supporting forestry, mining and shipping. They managed to stay healthy through the depression and WW II; but after the war demand for their output waned and the area declined. Finally, in the 1960’s and early 1970’s the city decided that the area and its pollution had to be remediated and hired a planning and architecture team led by architect Norman Hotson to turn the area into a “people place”.
Early skepticism gave way to enthusiasm when it was decided to keep the industrial character and use it as an asset instead of seeing it as a liability.
In fact, it was decided during the design process that keeping some of the…
View original post 490 more words